www.visataxes.com    Contact Us

Custom Search
The No 1 Non Resident Tax preparation Firm Trusted by thousands for International Student Taxes, F1 OPT H1B L1 E2 TN J1 visa taxes, Green Card Taxes, Living Abroad Taxes and Expatriate Taxes.

File IRS Tax Forms 1040NR, 1040NR EZ Software, Form 8843, Form 843, Form W-7, Form 2555, Form 1116 with Instructions.

We provide Expert Tax Consultation. Federal and State Tax Filing.

Buy Tax Service    

Form 1040NR EZ Software - Non Resident International Student Tax Software File Form 1040NR EZ, Form 8843

Our 'File Right' Guarantee.Save Taxes at www.VisaTaxes.com


Go Back   Form 1040NR Form 8843 Instructions - F1 OPT J1 Tax Refund Tax Back - H1B visa taxes, H4 Tax ID Number, J1 Taxes, L1 visa taxes, Form 1040NR Software, Form 843, International Student Tax Return > International Student Taxes -F1 H1B L1 J1 visa taxes - Form 1040NR Software - Non Resident Taxation > US Tax Treaty Benefits - F1 OPT J1 Student - India, China, UK, Korea, Canada Article 20 21 IRS

US Tax Treaty Benefits - F1 OPT J1 Student - India, China, UK, Korea, Canada Article 20 21 IRS US Tax Treaty Benefits India China Australia Article 20 21 Form 2555 Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, Expatriate Taxes - India,China,UK,Australia,Japan etc, US Citizens should report Foreign Source Income, Expatriate Taxes, Army, Military Taxes Army Taxes, Military Taxes Deployed Overseas Taxes Are you a Green Card holder or US Citizen living in India,China, Canada,Mexico and other countries.Pay US Taxes. H1B Tax and Green Card Tax Treaty Exemption. Experts in Expatriate Tax help.

  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-29-2008, 08:27 PM
Site Admin
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 249
Default India US Tax Treaty - US Tax Treaty for Indians on H1B,H4,F1,L1,J1 Visa Taxes

Indian residents who are visiting the United States principally for education or training are exempt from US tax on payments which arise outside the US for maintenance or educational purposes.

Although the tax treaty states that Indian students are entitled during their education or training the same exemptions, reliefs, or reductions in respect of taxes available to residents of the US, such individuals are not treated as US residents for tax purposes by virtue of the treaty.

However, Indian students are entitled to certain benefits that would otherwise be unavailable to US residents.

Those benefits are:

Standard Deduction:

Indian students can claim the standard deduction (for the 1999 tax year: $4300 single, $3600 married filing separately) on line 11 of Form 1040NR-EZ. Write the words "standard deduction allowed under US-India Tax Treaty" article 21(2) on Page 2 Question J of the 1040NR-EZ. If you are filing form 1040NR, enter the standard deduction on line 3 of schedule A. In the space to the left of line 3, write "Standard deduction allowed under US-India Tax Treaty." Also enter the amount on line 34 of form 1040NR. By claiming the standard deduction, you cannot claim any itemized deductions.

Spouse Exemption:

Indian students who are married may claim a spouse exemption if the spouse is living with the student in the US and if the spouse had no earned income for the 2005 tax year. Such an exemption should be indicated on line 7c of the 1040NR (in the space provided for dependents). Only columns 1 and 4 of line 7c need be completed. If you are claiming a spouse exemption, you cannot file form 1040NR EZ, you must file form 1040NR.

Dependent Exemptions (Children):

Additional exemptions may be claimed for children living with the Indian student in the US only if the children are US citizens or permanent residents. This usually means that the children must have been born in the US.

Filing Instructions:

To claim benefits under the US/India Tax Treaty, Indian students MUST file Form 1040NR-EZ or Form l040NR, not a 1040. Indian students who are married must have the spouse file a separate return. The couple may not file jointly on one return unless both the Indian student and the spouse are either US citizens or permanent residents.

An Indian student in non-immigrant status (such as F-1) who is married to a US citizen or permanent resident may elect to be treated as a US resident for tax purposes, and file a joint return. However, in that case, the student is subject to US tax on his or her world-wide income, not just US income, and would file a Form 1040. *From Internal Revenue Service Advance Revenue Procedure 93-20, concerning treatment of Indian students and business apprentices under US-India tax treaty, issued March 9, 1993.

Hope this Helps!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.us
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:55 AM.
visa taxes inc

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 visa taxes inc