www.visataxes.com    Contact Us

Custom Search
The No 1 Non Resident Tax preparation Firm Trusted by thousands for International Student Taxes, F1 OPT H1B L1 E2 TN J1 visa taxes, Green Card Taxes, Living Abroad Taxes and Expatriate Taxes.

File IRS Tax Forms 1040NR, 1040NR EZ Software, Form 8843, Form 843, Form W-7, Form 2555, Form 1116 with Instructions.

We provide Expert Tax Consultation. Federal and State Tax Filing.

Buy Tax Service Tax Expert: Mr.Sampath Kumar IRS Enrolled Agent, IRS Tax Advisor    

Form 1040NR EZ Software - Non Resident International Student Tax Software File Form 1040NR EZ, Form 8843

Our 'File Right' Guarantee.Save Taxes at www.VisaTaxes.com

Go Back   Form 1040NR Form 8843 Instructions - F1 OPT J1 Tax Refund Tax Back - H1B visa taxes, H4 Tax ID Number, J1 Taxes, L1 visa taxes, Form 1040NR Software, Form 843, International Student Tax Return > International Student Taxes -F1 H1B L1 J1 visa taxes - Form 1040NR Software - Non Resident Taxation > F1 to H1B L1 Non Resident Spouse H1B Tax Deductions H1B Tax Exemption H1B Tax Form 1040NR

F1 to H1B L1 Non Resident Spouse H1B Tax Deductions H1B Tax Exemption H1B Tax Form 1040NR Taxation H1B H2B G4 E3 Tax Help, H1B Taxes, TN Visa Taxes, L1 Visa Tax, L1 Visa Taxes,File IRS Tax Forms 1040NR ez, Form 843,8843, W-7. Substantial Presence Test. Resident or Non Resident or Dual Status.NR Tax Return Online. Non Resident Taxation

Old 04-15-2009, 02:42 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default L1 Tax Help - L1 Taxes - L1 L2 Joint Tax Filing - Long Short Term - L1 Visa Taxation

L1 Tax Help - L1 Taxes - L1 L2 Joint Tax Filing - Claim Exemption Tax Credit for Child - Form 1040NR - Short Long Term

L1 Tax Help - L1 Taxes - L1 L2 Joint Tax Filing - Claim Exemption Tax Credit
for Child - Form 1040NR

L1 Visa is unique, in the sense the stay in United States for employment on a intra company transfer from a foreign country can be either short term or long term.

L1 Taxes - L1 Short Term Tax Help - Closer Connection Exception

First lets discuss the Short Term L1 Visa Taxes. L1 Visa holders who visit united states on short term less than 183 days, can claim 'Closer Connection' to their Foreign Country and not have to pay taxes in the United States. This is catered into the tax treaties that each country has with the United States.

By claiming Closer Connection, what they mean is that, they have their tax base in their foreign country, and they are in United States only on a short visit and intend to return back to their foreign country.

This is called by IRS Term (Refer IRS Pub 519) - Closer Connection Exception

But if they visit US for more than 183 days in a tax year, then their closer connection exception expires and they have to file Form 1040 pay Federal, Social Security, Medicare and State Taxes.

So in short in a Tax Year Jan 1 - Dec 31, if you are in United States for less than 183 days, you can claim Closer Connection Exception and not file Taxes. This is the same even if you had your spouse and child in your short term United States Visit.

L1 Tax Help - L1 Taxes Long Term

Now as a L1 Visa holder, if you are in United States for more than 183 days in a Tax year, you are considered a Resident for Tax Purposes, and have to file Form 1040. In this case you meet the Substantial Presence Test for Tax Purposes.

You need to file Form 1040 and pay Federal, Social Security, Medicare and State Taxes.

Married L1 Visa holders (with Child) - L1 L2 Joint Taxes Long Term

If you are a Long term (more than 183 days), in the United States and married with your spouse in L2, you can file Jointly by using the SSN of your spouse, apply for ITIN (Individual Tax Identification Number) for your spouse and child.

If you meet the Dependency Tests, you can claim exemptions for your spouse and child, and claim Child Care and Child Tax Credits if eligible. Generally joint tax filing saves you more than filing individual tax returns.

Hope you found the article on L1 Taxes helpful!

If you have any questions, please Contact Us or Post your questions in the Forum.

Save Taxes on H1B,OPT,F1,J1,L1 and other visas.

Apply for Non Resident Tax Forms 1040NR,1040NR-EZ, Form 8843, Form 843 and Non Resident State Tax Forms like Form 540NR.

Visit http://www.VisaTaxes.com

Your questions answered for Free in the Tax Forum

http://forum.VisaTaxes.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.us
Old 10-09-2009, 10:50 PM
Site Admin

Exclamation

I am currently in the USA on a L1 visa.

I get a salary and the HR firm deducts my taxes at source and handles the filing of my returns etc.

What i would like to know is , i have additional income that i earn from owning companies in other countries..do i need to pay taxes on those incomes ...none of these funds ever appear in the US banks...

Should i be declaring my income that i make thorugh investments abroad even if i am in the usa only on an L1 visa ?
Old 10-12-2009, 07:32 PM
Site Admin

Default Depends on HOW you are filing

If you are filing as a non-resident or dual-status alien, then you do NOT report any income from foreign sources. Only the income earned within the U.S. from U.S. sources are subject to U.S. income taxes.

However, if you are filing as a resident alien, then ALL world-wide income is subject to U.S. income taxes.

HOW LONG have you been in the U.S. on your current L-1 visa??

Save Taxes on H-1B, OPT, F-1, J-1, L-1 and other visas.

Apply for Non Resident Tax Forms 1040NR,1040NR-EZ, Form 8843 and Form 843, plus ALL state tax returns!

The No 1 Non Resident Tax Preparation Firm, trusted by thousands of F1, J1, H1B other visa holders in US.

Ask us about our 10% Refer a Friend Tax Discount
Old 10-15-2009, 09:32 PM
Site Admin

Hi there ,

I have been in the U.S.A for about 5 months and looking to stay here for another 18 months.

Regards,
Ash
Old 10-16-2009, 05:24 PM
Site Admin

Default You will EXCEED the 183-day rule

You will exceed the 183-day rule in 2009, so you must file either as a dual-status alien if you are single (only choice) or as a resident alien if you are married (your option).

Filing jointly with your spouse and you both CHOOSE to be treated as resident aliens is probably the best course of action tax-wise due to the large standard deduction (over $11K) available to couples filing jointly. That is further enhanced if you have children who are also with you in the U.S. due to the $1,000 Child Tax Credit.

Apply for Non Resident Tax Forms 1040NR,1040NR-EZ, Form 8843 and Form 843, plus ALL state tax returns!

The No 1 Non Resident Tax Preparation Firm, trusted by thousands of F1, J1, H1B other visa holders in US.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:26 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
L1 Tax Help - L1 Taxes - L1 L2 Joint Tax Filing - Claim Exemption Tax Credit for Child - Form 1040NR - Short Long Term

L1 Tax Help - L1 Taxes - L1 L2 Joint Tax Filing - Claim Exemption Tax Credit
for Child - Form 1040NR

L1 Visa is unique, in the sense the stay in United States for employment on a intra company transfer from a foreign country can be either short term or long term.

L1 Taxes - L1 Short Term Tax Help - Closer Connection Exception

First lets discuss the Short Term L1 Visa Taxes. L1 Visa holders who visit united states on short term less than 183 days, can claim 'Closer Connection' to their Foreign Country and not have to pay taxes in the United States. This is catered into the tax treaties that each country has with the United States.

By claiming Closer Connection, what they mean is that, they have their tax base in their foreign country, and they are in United States only on a short visit and intend to return back to their foreign country.

This is called by IRS Term (Refer IRS Pub 519) - Closer Connection Exception

But if they visit US for more than 183 days in a tax year, then their closer connection exception expires and they have to file Form 1040 pay Federal, Social Security, Medicare and State Taxes.

So in short in a Tax Year Jan 1 - Dec 31, if you are in United States for less than 183 days, you can claim Closer Connection Exception and not file Taxes. This is the same even if you had your spouse and child in your short term United States Visit.

If you have any questions, please Contact Us or Post your questions in the Forum.
I have been in the US for 54 days in 2008 and 57 days in 2009, please let me know the right procedure to get all the taxes back...

In 2008 I did e-filing through taxact.com unknowingly and got all the taxes back, would that be a problem now. Also would I get back my medicare tax and social security tax reimbursed totally if I claim for short term Closer Connection Exception
Old 01-27-2010, 06:01 PM
Site Admin

Default What was your PAY source?

The Closer Connection rule applies ONLY IF you received your pay from your home countryI

The fact that FICA (Social Security and Medicare) taxes were withheld indicates that the pay source was from a "fixed base within the United States".

If so, the Closer Connection Exception does not apply!

You ARE liable for FICA taxes, which cannot be recovered.

You MAY be able to get all of the income taxes back by claiming daily living expenses.

In BOTh year, you should have filed as a non-resident alien, filing Form 1040NR or 1040nR-EZ.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:58 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Tax Guru View Post
You MAY be able to get all of the income taxes back by claiming daily living expenses.
Thanks for the answers, I had daily living expenses and the bills were on my name, the company paid them these bills with their credit card and later recovered them from my salary, do i need to mail the hotel bill receipts and food expense receipts for this purpose to the IRS

Quote:
In BOTh year, you should have filed as a non-resident alien, filing Form 1040NR or 1040nR-EZ.
Would this be a problem now?
Old 02-02-2010, 04:54 AM
Site Admin

Default You can still file

You can file for both year.

You need not submit the receipts, but you may need the rent receipt to show the IRS.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:50 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
You can file for both year.

You need not submit the receipts, but you may need the rent receipt to show the IRS.
The hotel charges were 100$ a day for 53 days, totally it was 5300$ for the hotel alone.

Should I put these expenses in Itemized deductions in 1040NR?